Start your career with us
Nearly 80 years as a family-owned business has shown, again and again, that the quality of an organization’s people has a direct impact on the quality of the business—and we couldn’t be prouder of our team.
As a family-owned business, it’s no surprise that being part of the team is like being part of the family. We treat each other with respect and encourage one another to bring our best every day.
Training & education
A long, long time ago, salespeople in the alcohol beverage business had to be friendly, good listeners, and great joke-tellers. A good joke is still a life skill but in this data-driven world we live in today, knowledge is everything. With a full-time staff of several educators, we ensure ongoing in-house training for the benefit of our employees and our customers. Our knowledge is worth sharing!
Hear Our Team
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is a growing statewide company seeking a Merchandising Specialist for our Independent Retail Sales Team to service multiple accounts in Port Huron.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Merchandising Specialist is responsible for timely stocking and product handling of all GLWAS merchandise shipped to assigned retail accounts stores. This position will be working with store level personnel to ensure effective placement of shelf products and in-store displays while assessing the effectiveness of different product displays and display locations. The Merchandiser must demonstrate a professional demeanor by dressing and grooming in a professional manner while keeping vehicle clean, organized with adequate P.O.S. and other sales materials. Other duties include but not limited to:
- Building displays
- Managing GLWAS product conditions within the store
- Working with GLWAS District Managers and Area Managers to address product out of stocks.
- Territory Management
- Correctly runs workday according to plan.
- Maintains and uses reports, forms, and pre-plans
- Communicates on daily basis with Manager
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Merchandising Specialist is a full-time position with daytime hours varying by schedule Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend hours may be required as schedule demands.
Starting Pay & Position
- $16.00-$18.00 per hour
- $300 Monthly Car Allowance
- Vacation and Personal Time
- Competitive health benefit packages including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- 401k Contributions after probationary time is met
- Long Short - Term Disability coverage
- Voluntary Life Insurance plan
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The Merchandiser operates in the field with daily travel, driving in all weather conditions. Time is also spent in a professional office environment, using standard office equipment. Work environment will vary based on account stops.
Merchandising is also a very active position. The employee must frequently stand, walk, bend, kneel, crouch, stoop and climb throughout the day while lifting, stacking, moving, and rotating with items, without handles, that weigh up to 50 pounds; push/pull carts with up to 100 pounds of force. This position is required to operate warehouse equipment and regularly to read, write and communicate in English. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Minimum age of 21 years
- High School Diploma/GED Bachelors degree preferred
- Basic competency with basic iOS devices
- 2 years sales experience preferred
- Adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in the employee policy manual and any applicable contracts, signed agreements, and work rules.
- Cooperates with all management and staff of GLWAS.
- Follows all MLCC rules and regulations, as they apply to the position.
- Use alcohol in a responsible manner when related to business activities.
- Ability to pass pre-employment screenings including a full Background Check, 10-Panel Drug Test, Physical Evaluation, and Agility Test
- Maintain a safe driving record.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About Great Lakes Wine & Spirits
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is Michigan's Largest Alcoholic Beverage Wholesaler, servicing all 83 Michigan counties. Employing over 1,000 people with facilities throughout the state, We Are Local, Everywhere. Founded as a family business nearly 80 years ago, the tradition of good business principles has remained the cornerstone of Great Lakes Wine & Spirits success. Honesty, hard work, fair dealing, service and an ongoing commitment to the customers and staff. Great Lakes Wine & Spirits strives to provide an ever-escalating standard of innovation and service to its customers and to responsibly enhance demand for its products.
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act ADA, Great Lakes Wine & Spirits will not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, or student, because of a physical or mental impairment with regard to any position or program for which that person is qualified.