Start your career with us
Nearly 80 years as a family-owned business has shown, again and again, that the quality of an organization’s people has a direct impact on the quality of the business—and we couldn’t be prouder of our team.
As a family-owned business, it’s no surprise that being part of the team is like being part of the family. We treat each other with respect and encourage one another to bring our best every day.
Training & education
A long, long time ago, salespeople in the alcohol beverage business had to be friendly, good listeners, and great joke-tellers. A good joke is still a life skill but in this data-driven world we live in today, knowledge is everything. With a full-time staff of several educators, we ensure ongoing in-house training for the benefit of our employees and our customers. Our knowledge is worth sharing!
Hear Our Team
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is a growing statewide company seeking a Transportation Supervisor for our warehouse in Marquette.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Open/close/secure work areas or buildings as dictated by policy
- Assist shuttle drivers with the breakdown and handling of their inbound and outbound loads
- Ensure all routes go out, covering routes as needed which may include delivering a route includes ensuring all conditions are met to perform successful bidding
- Manage incoming calls and emails and assist in issue resolution
- Maintain accurate customer information in both the routing and the business system
- Ensure customer satisfaction and efficient route execution
- Assist in the reconciliation of routes when needed
- Route orders immediately after sale's cut-off and appropriately submit before the designated deadline
- Monitor and address all product returns to warehouse
- Mitigate and monitor: breakage, over-time, and excessive or inappropriate supply usage
- Follow mandated safety and security guidelines; including but not limited to: cleanliness, PPE, biomechanical motions, potential hazards, Hi-Lo licenses, suspicious activity and theft
- Correctly and timely author BOLs for transfers to other facilities when needed
- Audit work area drops zones daily to ensure product is physically and electronically handled correctly
- Manage all aspects of the customer door: including but not limited: sorting of product, verifying order accuracy and condition, handing-off product to appropriate recipients and collecting payment and/or signatures.
- Survey work area daily to identify and correct issues; including but not limited to things that would impede the effectiveness of delivery and customer door.
- Monitor employee attendance including but not limited to review of the call-off line, log in attendance system and issue discipline.
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant union contracts, policy manuals and essential equipment
- Maintain Time Keeping systems to log pertinent payroll and employee information as needed; including, but not limited to verifying punches, approving overtime, recording leave, via daily and weekly inputs
- Record arrival times and appointment discrepancies on the calendar
- Manage and maintain hiring and discharge process for direct reports with support of Transportation Manager
- Author reports and send to management
- Author and complete injury, disciplinary forms in a timely manner following company protocols
- Train, coach, evaluate and counsel subordinates to ensure they have an adequate understanding of the assigned work functions so that they can and are correctly, efficiently and safely performing their job
- Conduct team meetings on subject matter delegated by the Transportation Manager
- Monitor and maintain employee engagement including recognition and accountability for performance
- Ensure safety guidelines are communicated and followed by direct reports
- Ensure the vehicles assigned to direct reports are maintained, available and functioning properly
The Transportation Supervisor is a full-time position working Tuesday through Friday with start times varying around 5:30 AM. Holidays and weekend shifts may be required depending on business needs.
Pay & Benefits
- $27.00 per hour
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Vacation and Personal Time
- Competitive health benefit packages including Medical, Dental and Vision coverage.
- 401K contributions after probationary time is met
- Voluntary Life Insurance & Disability coverage
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position is physically demanding in nature, separating and loading cases, and may require the Transportation Supervisor to regularly lift up to 45 pounds. The Transportation Supervisor position operates in a warehouse environment. The employee will be frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration where the noise level can be loud. This position also requires to be on the road as needed in all weather conditions for delivering orders to accounts. This requires the employee to be courteous, respectful and friendly to others.
- 21 years of age and older
- Chauffer license
- CDL A or B license with airbrake endorsement
- Minimum 2-years driving experience in CDL box trucks with airbrakes
- Hi-lo experience preferred
- Experience operating GPS and handheld devices is helpful preferred
- Must be willing to work in all weather conditions
- Willingness to take direction and work independently
- Ability to regularly lift up to 45 lbs.
- Acceptable driving record
- Able to pass DOT physical and obtain DOT card through GLWAS
- Pass pre-employment screenings including a full Background Check, 10-Panel Drug Test, and Agility Test
- Adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in the employee policy manual and any applicable contracts, signed agreements, and work rules.
- Cooperates with all management and staff of GLWAS.
- Follows all MLCC rules and regulations as they apply to the position.
- Use alcohol in a responsible manner when related to business activities.
- Maintain a safe driving record.
About Great Lakes Wine & Spirits
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is Michigan's Largest Alcoholic Beverage Wholesaler, servicing all 83 Michigan counties. Employing over 1,000 people with facilities throughout the state, We Are Local, Everywhere. Founded as a family business nearly 80 years ago, the tradition of good business principles has remained the cornerstone of Great Lakes Wine & Spirits success. Honesty, hard work, fair dealing, service and an ongoing commitment to the customers and staff. Great Lakes Wine & Spirits strives to provide an ever escalating standard of innovation and service to its customers and to responsibly enhance demand for its products.
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act ADA, Great Lakes Wine & Spirits will not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, or student, because of a physical or mental impairment with regard to any position or program for which that person is qualified.