Start your career with us
Nearly 80 years as a family-owned business has shown, again and again, that the quality of an organization’s people has a direct impact on the quality of the business—and we couldn’t be prouder of our team.
As a family-owned business, it’s no surprise that being part of the team is like being part of the family. We treat each other with respect and encourage one another to bring our best every day.
Training & education
A long, long time ago, salespeople in the alcohol beverage business had to be friendly, good listeners, and great joke-tellers. A good joke is still a life skill but in this data-driven world we live in today, knowledge is everything. With a full-time staff of several educators, we ensure ongoing in-house training for the benefit of our employees and our customers. Our knowledge is worth sharing!
Hear Our Team
Looking for a career in the wine and spirits industries? Would you like to be able to sell one of the most diverse and well-established brand portfolios in the business? Don't want to be stuck behind a desk? Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is a growing statewide company seeking a Sales Consultant for our Spirits Team to serve multiple accounts in Plymouth, Livonia, Wayne, Westland, and Downriver.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Sales Consultant is a field-based sales role that focuses on selling, servicing, developing and growing the GLWAS portfolio of products within established customer accounts. This role provides a phenomenal introduction into both sales and the adult beverage industry with one of the strongest portfolios around - coupled with a winning team culture. Great Lakes Wine & Spirits takes pride within and provides upward mobility into possible on-premise, independent, management roles based upon performance.
Sales Consultants will be responsible for their 'Master Routes' to back-stock shelves, sell programs, straighten and beautify the department, and write the order for upcoming delivery days. This position also requires the employee to merchandise orders for shelving and displaying on delivery days. As a Sales Consultant, you will also be responsible for growing total territory volume and revenue while achieving other growth objectives for the company. Other duties include but not limited to:
- Achieve monthly objectives on priority brands, specified programs and qualitative initiatives
- Generate positive business relationships with decision makers in assigned accounts
- Execute assigned headquarters programs from our major customers
- Present prepared, professional, persuasive, fact-based, personalized sales presentations
- Develop and maintain good product knowledge on relative GLWAS products
- Attend weekly and monthly team meetings to discuss objectives, progress, and outstanding issues
- Demonstrate initiative to grow overall spirits, beverage, and category knowledge
- Demonstrate competency of account 'Standards of Performance' through account conditions
- Maintain product so that it is clean, rotated, and saleable
- Post retail pricing in a timely manner, while ensuring accuracy
- Ensure point-of-sale is accurate, relevant, up-to-date, and advantageously placed
- Consistently services accounts as outlined on Master Route
- Utilizes surveys, control book, planners, and tracking forms as instructed to execute priorities
- Communicates proactively with customers and management
- Aligns daily activities to the needs and priorities of the company, as directed
- Ensures vehicle is clean, organized, properly stocked with adequate point-of-sale
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The Sales Consultant operates in the field with daily travel, driving in all weather conditions. Time is also spent in a professional office environment, using standard office equipment. Work environment will vary based on account stops.
Sales Consulting is also a very active position. The employee must frequently stand, walk, bend, kneel, crouch, stoop and climb throughout the day while lifting, stacking, moving, and rotating with items, without handles, that weigh up to 50 pounds; push/pull carts with up to 100 pounds of force. This position is required to operate warehouse equipment and regularly to read, write and communicate in English. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The Sales Consultant is a full-time position with a flexible schedule Monday through Friday. If the master route is satisfied and stores are adequately serviced, a Sales Consultant is free to set their schedule. Evening and weekend hours may be required as schedule demands.
Pay & Benefits
- $35,000 - $40,000 Base Salary + Sales Incentives
- Maximum Monthly Car Allowance
- Vacation and Personal Time
- Competitive health benefit packages including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- 401k Contributions after probationary time is met
- Long Short - Term Disability coverage
- Voluntary Life Insurance plan
- Minimum age of 21 years
- High School Diploma/GED Bachelors degree preferred
- 2 years sales experience preferred
- Basic competency with basic iOS devices
- Positive & Entrepreneurial Attitude
- A Success-Oriented, Competitive, and Creative Mindset
- Basic technical ability Email / Excel / Text
- Desire to learn and implement these learnings
- Adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in the employee policy manual and any applicable contracts, signed agreements, and work rules.
- Cooperates with all management and staff of GLWAS.
- Follows all MLCC rules and regulations, as they apply to the position.
- Use alcohol in a responsible manner when related to business activities.
- Ability to pass pre-employment screenings including a full Background Check, 10-Panel Drug Test, Physical Evaluation, and Agility Test
- Maintain a safe driving record.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About Great Lakes Wine & Spirits
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is Michigan's Largest Alcoholic Beverage Wholesaler, servicing all 83 Michigan counties. Employing over 1,000 people with facilities throughout the state, We Are Local, Everywhere. Founded as a family business nearly 80 years ago, the tradition of good business principles has remained the cornerstone of Great Lakes Wine & Spirits success. Honesty, hard work, fair dealing, service and an ongoing commitment to the customers and staff. Great Lakes Wine & Spirits strives to provide an ever-escalating standard of innovation and service to its customers and to responsibly enhance demand for its products.
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act ADA, Great Lakes Wine & Spirits will not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, or student, because of a physical or mental impairment with regard to any position or program for which that person is qualified.