Start your career with us
Nearly 80 years as a family-owned business has shown, again and again, that the quality of an organization’s people has a direct impact on the quality of the business—and we couldn’t be prouder of our team.
As a family-owned business, it’s no surprise that being part of the team is like being part of the family. We treat each other with respect and encourage one another to bring our best every day.
Training & education
A long, long time ago, salespeople in the alcohol beverage business had to be friendly, good listeners, and great joke-tellers. A good joke is still a life skill but in this data-driven world we live in today, knowledge is everything. With a full-time staff of several educators, we ensure ongoing in-house training for the benefit of our employees and our customers. Our knowledge is worth sharing!
Our Mission Statement
We are Great Lakes Wine & Spirits, Michigan’s leading family-owned and operated wholesale distributor. Our mission is to provide exceptional service, the highest degree of expertise with the best selection of products. We are committed to the growth and well-being of our employees, customers, and suppliers, as well as the advancement of our business and the communities we serve.
Hear Our Team
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is a growing statewide company seeking a full-time Maintenance Mechanic for our warehouses in Metro Detroit.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Maintenance Mechanic will conduct preventative maintenance and repair work for our facility and its equipment. These tasks include installation, emergency and preventative maintenance, and inspection of mechanical equipment, conveyor systems, and electrical systems. Other duties include but not limited to:
- Installs, maintains, repairs, and troubleshoots conveyor systems, electrical systems, heavy machinery, and specialized equipment.
- Performs level 1 troubleshooting on powered industrial truck equipment. Coordinates with day PIT mechanic when level 2 troubleshooting required.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on conveyor system, air compressor system, PIT EV batteries.
- Operates machines and other equipment to observe operations, diagnose malfunctions or make repairs.
- Unjam product on conveyor lines from high elevation. *Employee must be comfortable working at heights of up to 30 feet ~20% of work performed.
- Document work performed in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Support production by handling oddball tasks required to meet production goals.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Maintenance Mechanics operate in a warehouse environment. The employee will be frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration where the noise level can be loud.
This position is also very active and must frequently stand, walk, bend, kneel, crouch, stoop and climb throughout the day while lifting, stacking, moving, and rotating with items, without handles, that weigh up to 55 pounds; push/pull equipment with up to 100 pounds of force. This position is required to operate warehouse equipment and regularly to read, write and communicate in English.
The Maintenance Mechanic is a full-time position and will be assigned to work for the Day Shift starting at 5:00 AM or the Night Shift starting at 5:00 PM based on the company's needs. This job requires mandatory overtime working an average of 40-50 hours per week and the employee may be frequently asked to stay beyond their eight-hour shifts.
Pay & Benefits
- Entry-Level wage starting around $23.00 per hour.
- Vacation and Personal Time.
- 6 Paid Holidays.
- Competitive health packages including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage.
- 401k Contributions after probationary time is met.
- Voluntary Life Insurance and Disability coverage.
- HS Diploma or Equivalent
- All levels of mechanical experience
- Adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in the employee policy manual and any applicable contracts, signed agreements, and work rules.
- Cooperates with all management and staff of GLWAS.
- Follows all MLCC rules and regulations, as they apply to the position.
- Use alcohol in a responsible manner when related to business activities.
- Ability to pass pre-employment screenings including a full Background Check, 10-Panel Drug Test, Physical Evaluation, and Agility Test
About Great Lakes Wine & Spirits
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits is Michigan's Largest Alcoholic Beverage Wholesaler, servicing all 83 Michigan counties. Employing over 1,000 people with facilities throughout the state, We Are Local, Everywhere. Founded as a family business nearly 80 years ago, the tradition of good business principles has remained the cornerstone of Great Lakes Wine & Spirits success. Honesty, hard work, fair dealing, service and an ongoing commitment to the customers and staff. Great Lakes Wine & Spirits strives to provide an ever-escalating standard of innovation and service to its customers and to responsibly enhance demand for its products.
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act ADA, Great Lakes Wine & Spirits will not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, or student, because of a physical or mental impairment with regard to any position or program for which that person is qualified.